Dental fillings are rendered to fill cavities and revive decayed teeth. Fillings are strong enough that they enable your teeth to chew and grind, just like original teeth. However, these fillings can also come loose.
How does a filling get damaged?
- Tooth decay due to a poor oral regimen
- Face trauma
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Allergic reaction to filling material (example- mercury, amalgam, silver)
- Chewing and biting crunchy or hard foods
Whenever you feel that your dental filling is loose or you feel uneasy while biting, don’t ignore it. A loose, broken or fallen out filling is a major issue that calls for dentist’s attention.
How to deal with a Loose Filling?
- Ease the sensitivity – Movement of the filling may let the site to become sore, sensitive or irritated. Wash your mouth with a warm salt solution to get temporary relief. You can even put clove oil. You can also utilize an ice pack to numb the tooth.
- Do not panic –Always remain calm whenever you face any dental trouble. Basically, fillings can be reapplied immediately. Visit your dentist soon. But you should not wait too long as that can weaken your teeth.
- Keep your mouth clean –When the filling turns loose, the tooth cavity is revealed. And hence, it is highly required to keep your mouth clean. Don’t chew from the same side of the mouth. Brush properly and don’t skip washing your mouth after every meal. Also gargle with antiseptic mouthwash.
- Call the dentist –If you find any indications that detect a loose filling, you should immediately call the Dentist in Tomball TX. Keep the filling so the dentist can decide if it can be reutilized or be replaced. The dentist will study the area around the tooth and cavity fillings. The dentist might have to prepare your tooth before a fresh filling can be reapplied. If not given treatment, the condition might worsen and require a root canal.
How to prevent a filling from coming loose?
Of course dental fillings are not meant for life-time! They basically stay between 2 and 10 years. But you can improve the structural integrity and durability of your filling by taking a few precautions:
- Visit a recognized and skilled dentist who will provide a filling in a way that will last long. You can always visit us at Northampton Dental, as we have the best dentists
- Avoid biting down and chewing on hard things that could spoil your filling
- Implement proper oral practices
- Visit your dentist regularly to check the health of the fillings
- Consider a dental onlay or a crown which is far more durable method of restoring the tooth
Of course, your dentist will suggest the best treatment plan for you! Now, if you’re looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in TX, then surely reach us at Northampton Dental to receive composite fillings.